ESSENTIAL SURGICAL SKILLS
(and Principles for Aspiring Surgeons [ESSPAS])
30th October 2021
31st October 2021
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Cardiff, Frazer Building, 126 Bute Street, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 5LE
This one-day course is aimed at providing the attendee with an overview of the essential principles, core concepts and fundamental skills relevant for foundation years and early surgical training. The course predominantly comprises of hands-on training in surgical skills using animal tissue interspersed with structured and focused teaching on the principles of management of trauma and operative surgery. With a high tutor-to-delegate ratio, this course is designed to equip the attendee with the essential surgical skills that will be expected of a clinical year medical student or junior doctor in the operating theatre. There will also be discussions on the management of patients with trauma and those presenting with surgical emergencies.
- Aseptic precautions
- Surgical gowning
- Closed method of gloving
- Suture materials and needles
- Safe use of local anaesthesia
- Handling of surgical instruments
- Secure knot tying (Reef knot, Surgical knot, Tying at Depth)
- Basic suturing techniques (simple interrupted, simple continuous, subcuticular, vertical mattressand horizontal mattress)
- Excision of a cutaneous lesion
- Excision of a subcutaneous cyst
- Drainage of an abscess
- Debridement of a contaminated wound
- Wound healing and principles of reconstructive surgery
- Role of antibiotics in trauma and surgery
- Principles of surgical diathermy
- Fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery
- Discussion of cases in trauma and general surgery
Learning ObjectivesAt the end of the course, the delegate should:
- have understood the importance of aseptic precautions in surgery.
- be able to gown in a correct manner.
- be able to carry out closed method of gloving.
- have gained an appreciation of the various suture materials and needles.
- be able to institute local anaesthesia in a safe and efficient manner.
- be able to handle surgical instruments correctly and dispose the sharps safely.
- be able to tie a secure reef and surgeon’s knot, and tie at depth.
- be able to perform the basic suturing techniques.
- be able to excise a lesion and close the wound.
- be able to excise a subcutaneous cyst and close the wound.
- be able to drain an abscess and plan appropriate wound management.
- be able to debride a contaminated wound in an effective manner.
- have understood the principles of diathermy.
- be able to assist in laparoscopic surgery in an efficient manner.
- have understood the essential concepts in wound healing and the principles of reconstructive surgery.
- be able to structure a safe initial management plan for patients presenting with trauma and emergency surgical conditions.
- Medical Students
- Foundation Year Doctors
- Core Surgical Trainees
- Junior Surgeons
- Advanced Nurse Practitioners
- Surgical Nurse Practitioners
- Theatre Assistants
|30th October 2021 - Fully Subscribed.
Places are currently available for 31st October 2021.
|Date||30th October 2021
31st October 2021
|College of Physicians and Surgeons of Cardiff, Frazer Building, 126 Bute Street, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 5LE|
|Closing Date||Places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis and therefore we are unable to provide a precise closing date.|
|No of Places||26|