Essential Principles of Lasers in the Management of Common Cutaneous and Subcutaneous Conditions
(Aimed at Specialist Registrars in Surgery and Medicine)
20th May 2021 (Thursday )
1900 - 2015 hours (UK time)
Online via Zoom
Lasers are increasingly used in the treatment of a variety of conditions, as interest in less invasive treatment modalities have gained much interest and popularity in the last couple of decades. Lasers, such as pulsed dye, NdYAG and Erbium YAG Lasers, are used in many surgical disciplines, as well as to treat dermatological conditions. This interactive session aims to introduce the attendee to the basic physics of lasers, laser-tissue interactions, the effects of lasers on tissues, the manipulation of laser parameters for effective treatment, the concepts of selective photothermolysis and thermal relaxation time, the absorption spectrum of tissues, commonly used lasers in clinical practice, and the side effects of laser treatment. The session will provide a comprehensive overview of laser treatment with a focus on exam preparation, built on a sound understanding of the principles that underpin the clinical use of lasers to manage common cutaneous and subcutaneous conditions.
Learning Objectives:By the end of this session, the attendee should be able to:
- understand the basic physics of lasers.
- appreciate the laser-tissue interactions.
- understand the effects of lasers on tissues.
- gain an appreciation of how lasers can be manipulated for effective treatment.
- appreciate the concepts of selective photothermolysis and thermal relaxation time.
- understand the commonly used lasers in clinical practice and the side effects of laser treatment.
- ST3 and above trainees in Plastic Surgery
- ST3 and above trainees in ENT Surgery
- ST3 and above trainees in OMFS Surgery
- ST3 and above trainees in Dermatology
- Trainees preparing for the FRCS(Plast) Exam
- Trainees preparing for the FRCS(ENT) Exam
- Trainees preparing for MRCP(UK) Dermatology
- Post-CCT trainees in Plastic Surgery
- Post-CCT trainees in ENTSurgery
- Interface Fellows in Head and Neck Surgery
- Fellows in Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Mr Ramesh Vidyadharan, MBBS, MS, MCh, FRCS
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
University Hospital of Birmingham and Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Trust
|Places are currently available.|
|Date||20th May 2021 (Thursday )
|Time||1900 - 2015hours (UK time)|
||Online via Zoom|
This teaching event is part of the International Postgraduate Surgical Education and Training Series, supported by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Cardiff and The Doctors Academy Group.
|Closing Date||Places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis and therefore we are unable to provide a precise closing date.|
|No of Places||60|