|date_range Date(s)||7th and 8th October 2017|
|location_city Venue||Postgraduate Education Centre,
Manchester Royal Infirmary,
|Closing Date||Places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis and therefore we are unable to provide a precise closing date.|
|event_seat No of Places Available||20|
This course, led and delivered by surgeons, is aimed at providing surgical nurse practitioners and theatre nurses a structured programme to learn fundamental surgical skills and techniques that will be applicable across all surgical specialities. The delegates will be introduced to the safe principles underpinning the various basic surgical techniques with individual tuition under the direct supervision of surgeons. Participants will be assessed throughout the course and a certificate will be issued upon successful completion.
Learning Style:The course is held over two days with a series of practical demonstrations and hands on sessions. Techniques will be practiced on prepared animal tissue, synthetic models and simulation.
Learning Outcomes:On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Develop a sound understanding of sutures, suture materials and needles.
- Appropriately handle commonly used surgical instruments in a safe manner.
- Create and secure surgical knots.
- Perform instrument tie.
- Appreciate the mechanism of action and safe dosage of local anaesthetics
- Carry out the following suturing techniques – interrupted, horizontal and vertical mattress, continuous and sub-cuticular
- Understand the principles of using safe diathermy.
- Perform, using a safe and effective technique, excision of skin lesions and cysts; abscess drainage and excision; and wound management and debridement.
- Insert and fix wound drains.
- Understand basic laparoscopy skills, instrumentation and hand-eye coordination.
- Surgical Nurse Practitioners
- Theatre Nurses
- Peri-operative Nurse Practitioners
- Advanced Nurse Practitioners
- Scrub Nurses
Please click the dropdown menu to view the faculty lists for upcoming courses and from previous courses.
Please click the dropdown menu to view the programmes for upcoming courses and from previous courses.
Please click the dropdown menu to view the feedback from previous courses
Pay by Bank TransferWe bank with
Please use the details furnished below to pay by bank transfer
|Account Name||Doctors Academy|
|Name of Bank||Barclays Bank, 121 Queen Street, Cardiff CF10 1SG, United Kingdom|
|If you are making a payment to our account from outside the UK, your bank will ask for our IBAN and Swift Code||IBAN: GB49 BARC 2018 1750 6716 73
SWIFT CODE: BARCGB22