This one-day course is designed to provide participants with a structured programme to gain proficiency in basic suturing skills. Utilising animal tissue and with a high delegate-to-tutor ratio, participants will have ample opportunity and guidance to improve their technique.
The course will conclude with a competition, allowing delegates to test the skills that they have learnt and refined during the day. Those who score the highest will be awarded a prize.
The event is open to all undergraduate medical students in the United Kingdom, providing an excellent platform to network and learn.
On completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Handle commonly used surgical instruments safely and effectively.
- Drive a needle through tissue with accurate and consistent bite placement.
- Perform a variety of suturing techniques, such as a simple interrupted, simple buried, simple running/continuous, and vertical/horizontal mattress.
- Participate in a competition with prizes.
- Network with other medical students and receive career advice from local consultants and trainees.
- Tutored and supervised by consultant surgeons/trainees from various disciplines.
- Practical course with a high tutor-to-participant ratio.
- Certificate will be awarded for your portfolio.
- A suitable course for students wishing to learn new surgical/suturing skills and/or consolidate existing skills.
- Delivered using a series of tutor demonstrations and hands-on sessions where participants work on animal tissue.
- Opportunities to network and obtain career advice.
- Those with the highest scores in the competition will be awarded prizes.